Friday, April 3, 2009

Why's & Wherefore's

Why we have the weather we have in the NW US region specifically the Puget Sound area is referred to as a Convergence Zone.  I'd never heard of it before I got here.  The local weather reporters and meteorologists mention this term pretty much every night.

Wikipedia says:"Convergence zone usually refers to a region in the atmosphere where two prevailing flows meet and interact, usually resulting in distinctive weather conditions.

An example of a convergence zone is the Intertropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ), a low pressure area which girdles the Earth at the Equator.  Another example is the Sout Pacific convergence sone that extends from the western Pacific Ocean toward French Polynesia.

A smaller example of a convergence zone occures in the Puget Sound region, known as the Puget Sound Convergence Zone.  This happens when winds in the upper atmosphere are split by the Olympic Mountains.  The winds then converge beyond the mountains, producing convection uplift that results in the development of clouds and even stormy weather.

Convergence zones can also be associated with sea breeze fronts." (my emphasis in blue)

The Olympic Mountains are beautiful.  So are the Cascades.  The snow topped  mountains on the horizon look just as they are seen in the best of photographs.  While I'm out today I'll see if I can get a decent photo of either of them.  I know there are perfect photos online I can paste in here...but, it gives me another reason to get out today.  I need to find a closer Trader Joe's for more Two Buck Chuck anyway.

4 comments:

  1. I love reading about my homeland from your fresh perspective. I would never have THOUGHT to blog about something seemingly so ordinary as a "convergent zone" for example. See? You are teaching me to approach the seemingly "ordinary" with wonder and amazement.

    You are now tagged. You must now blog at least 3 suggestions for saving money. It’s not because we all have LESS money than we did two years ago. We just all want to save money where it doesn’t hurt so we can SPEND more cash -- or donate it – on much more worthwhile projects and experiences.
    Ideas can range from using half as much toothpaste and just see if your teeth don’t remain just as pearly white as before to saving cash by shopping for coffee on Amazon. We don’t care WHAT your three ideas for money-saving is all about (just that you share it).

    Brightest blessings. Look forward to reading your “save money” content soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog SunTiger. And you are on my list to contact for a home cleansing/clearing when I am ready to start again. The money saving idea? Oh, I've got tons. Number 1 - move in with a friend. But, I'll post three later on.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do so like this area. Snow-capped mountains are the way to go if you have to live nearby. I prefer living by water but living by the Cascades or Olympic mountains are a fine second choice.

    ReplyDelete