Thursday, April 16, 2009

Cashing In

Well, that was certainly interesting.  In order to cash my check, at the bank it was drawn from btw, I had to show three forms of ID.  My credit cards say, "Please request ID" in the signature strip.  I guess I just make things difficult.  I had two "official" letters with me that have my new address on them (carrying around yesterday's mail, don't know why.) AND THEN, they had me put my thumbprint onto the check.  I was laughing about it with the teller when a manager walked by and off handedly suggested he get the blood testing kit.  I hope I remember next week to bring a q-tip and put it on the desk as the DNA swab.

I did warn the crew there at the bank that I will be back next week.  I may have made new "friends" today.  What a giggle.

I'm learning the bus system.  There is a different bus that affords a much nicer view of Seattle just south and east of downtown.  I've made it a practise to wait for that one instead of using the suggested route.  I may have found my neighborhood.  I'll give it another week before I get on craigslist to see if this reality is possible.

Fujific, you keep commenting on how amazing this all is... the move, the job hunt, the settling in and starting over.  Yeah, it is.  But, only in hindsight.  While I'm "in it" my life is one of focus.  I will look back on this year sometime in the future and maybe be amazed too.  But ever since the decision was made, I never doubted.  I got a rebuilt transmission out of the deal (ok, that was maybe a little tough - sitting in Fargo waiting to keep movement).  Once a decision is made and action takes over, the momentum feeds on itself.  There is no other outcome.  I personally don't know of any other outcome than the one I am working toward.  I feel this outcome completely.  I live it.  Later, when I am cozy wrapped in a blanket on a couch with someone that I care about and that cares about me, looking out at the Seattle rain through a picture window while the fireplace crackles, while my dog is curled on the rug in front of the fire, then, then I will cry...in joy.  I love your comments, Bobby.  They stop me in the moment to see what is actually, really and truly in front of my nose before I step out of my friend's house each morning and do another day to get there.

(ps: I don't own a blanket, a home, a fireplace, a dog and I don't have anyone "special" at the moment. - Job first.  Which makes me wonder at how hard I may be driving myself right now.  Another post maybe.  'Cept if you find what you really enjoy doing you can't call it work.  I'm loving this part, the starting over.  This isn't work.  This is an adventure.)

3 comments:

  1. Many of us dream of an adventure just like the one you are writing about. It is the essence of what we have called the American dream.

    I was born in the zip code in which I currently reside. My life is comfortable and while I have my share of the unknown I also have childhood memories all over the place in every corner of my environment.

    You are on a full blown adventure and I want to go along for the ride. Thank you for sharing this experience with us.

    Your adventure is an exercise in the human spirit. You give me hope.

    I cannot express how much this means to me other than to say thank you.

    You will have success and failures along the way. I want to read about them. I also expect the best and am here to cheer for you while you take this life altering journey.

    Life is all about the ride. Enjoy.

    Love,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to follow along as you discover your new home town and the new you.

    ReplyDelete