Monday, August 2, 2010

My Special Pen Pal

I write people on occasion. I use paper and ink. Sometimes I use cards or stationary. Most of my letter writing in online, to my aunt, my friend overseas, other various people. In April this year I wrote a letter to a very special man. I wanted him to know exactly how I felt. I didn't want him to wonder at my feelings. It may not be greatness, but it is exactly how I feel. My letter went...

Dear Mr. President,

Enough! Send no more troops, no more souls, no more loved ones to fight on our behalf. It pains me to consider the extreme measures we take as a nation everyday to continue with the dead idea of war. This is sending loved and loving people to destroy the families and nations of other loved and loving people. The insanity of it is profound. Please stop this immediately.

It is secondary that the enormous military budget is impoverishing our country. It is the greatest, colossal, single cause of our country's debt, our insolvency. It is destroying America. It is the elephant in the room, the huge mad invisible elephant consuming our individual incomes and public resources. Please do all you can to cut, cut, cut the military budget.

None of this is Americanism or patriotism; it is suicidal insanity. Please do all you can do to stop this waste of good people and of our good money.

With utmost sincerity,

I told him, didn't I?

My pen pal wrote back to me last week. I got the letter today. Did you know the White House has to pay postage like the rest of us? Or is it a ruse, and the post office just drops off gads of postage stamps gratis for the presidential correspondence?

Mr. Obama wrote (and I think he took some liberties):

Dear Friend:

Thank you for writing me. I have heard from many Americans about important defence issues our Nation faces, and I appreciate your perspective.

I am committed to making my Administration the most open and transparent in history, and part of delivering on that promise is hearing from people like you. I take seriously your opinions, and respect your point of view on this important issue. Please know that your concerns will be on my mind in the days ahead.

Thank you again for writing. I encourage you to visit WhiteHouse.gov to learn more about my Administration or to contact me in the future.

Sincerely,

(signed) Barack Obama

Mr. Obama's stationary is embossed.

I feel a bit like a school girl that has just completed her Civics Project. I'm surprised I didn't do this back when I was in school. I'm sure we were each encouraged to contact our legislators. I know I've always felt it was futile. Lately I've been feeling it is futile NOT to do something. Even if it is a single simple letter. To tell the truth I'm a little bit proud of myself for actually sending my letter. Whether Mr. Obama read it or not, I put it out there. And I meant it.

6 comments:

  1. Good for you! I agree with you about wars--nothing good can come from them and we can never replace the lost lives of our young brave soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liberties were taken, but it was Bush who did that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These deaths overseas have got to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending that letter felt better than voting. I would do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for writing me? Don't he mean Thank you for writing TO me.....

    ReplyDelete