Wednesday, December 9, 2009

SNAP!

Oh My God! It is frigid. It is cold. It is almost bitter. I wore an under camisole, two sweaters and a scarf over that. I had on slacks and wintersilks long underwear plus socks. I wore my long warm leather coat (to guard against those cold bus seats) and wrapped my heaviest pashmini up high on the back of my neck and around my lower face. Oh thank god I am not in the blizzard they are having in Wisconsin. If I remember correctly that was a major reason I left. Seems there will be five more days of these snapping cold mornings here in Seattle. At least it's been dry - amazingly dry and windless. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it.

Now if only my car can handle this. I drove around for half an hour after getting off the bus this evening just to warm it up. The neighborhood christmas lights made for a nice drive. These snappy mornings are a major drain on my car battery. I've been starting my car at 6:15 a.m. so that when I leave the house at 6:30 it is good to go. Mostly I've also been starting it at 6:15 so that if it doesn't start I have time enough to hoof it over to a bus stop that can get me to work on time. Today I was told that it is illegal in Washington state to leave a car running without a driver inside. Oh please, just let me get through these extreme weather days. I will get a new car battery on payday next week. I promise.

PS: My kitchen floor is too cold to stand on while my eggs cook. Jeesh, I hate wearing shoes in the house.

2 comments:

  1. Same problem here. No shoes in the house and I now wear house slippers. Warm ones too! It's freezing outside--seriously. Stay warm. Enjoy those eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's -37C here. Our truck won't start, even though we plugged it in. I've taken to wearing two pairs of socks around the house...
    stay warm!

    ReplyDelete