Sunday, December 6, 2009

Freecycle - Amazing!

I am now the proud owner of two semi-lovely chairs that I previously did not have. Interesting things about the two chairs, they are both ladderback, rattan seated chairs. Even though the backs are different heights, the seating is at 18" for all of my chairs. My last apartment had such an ecclectic mix of chairs - each uphoslstery was fabulous - that the seating height did not match. I paid for those chairs...so far I've not paid for any of my current chairs. That may catch up with me one day.

Freecycle.org is a pretty good deal. I appreciate the moderators. Freecycle is set up as a posting "group" on Yahoo!. If a person wants to get rid of something - say a chair - and it's not worth much, or the bother of ebay or craigslist, they can post it on the freecycle posting board. Someone like me will see that as long as I can go get these chairs they're free. I did see photos before I responded. I e-mailed the posting person only, and not the whole group, and arranged a time to swing by. So this morning...I have chairs.

I'm a little bummed. If I had gone by about half an hour earlier I would have brought home a free loveseat too. It wasn't posted on freecycle. It was being hauled out of a house a couple blocks from where the chairs came from. I stopped to chat - to no avail. It's worth an effort once in a while to see what's going on. It was dark blue. I still think a red sofa is the way to go.

I'm keeping my eyes on craigslist too. Maybe in January I'll walk through another furniture store. Just for giggles.

***UPDATE _ EDIT***
Picked up a tall lighted curio cabinet this afternoon - unfinished wood - glass shelves - this stuff is amazing.

1 comment:

  1. On Wednesday, I was in HomeSense, and I soooo wanted to buy stuff for my apartment. But, I don't have a vehicle, I didn't want to spend the money, and I have stuff to get rid of first, like bookshelves, a futon, maybe even my leather recliner.

    I like having furniture that doesn't match.

    ReplyDelete