Sunday, November 27, 2011

Silent Grandma is wise.

There was a buddha named Buddha Never Disparaging. His story is one about not disparaging others. His story is one about taking the high road at all times. I am not the Buddha Never Disparaging. My life is simutanenously filled with the Ten Worlds. In a single moment I feel all of life; the hell, hunger, animality, anger, humanity, heaven, learning, realization, bodhisattva and Buddha. It's not a bad thing that in a fit of anger I am still aware that my own buddhahood exists. In a fit of realization I am still aware of my own hunger (for things like money or the creature comforts it allows). At every moment all things are there if I merely open my thought waves to it.

But Buddha Never Disparaging is one of those buddhas that walked on this earth and didn't say anything rotten about anyone. He is the quintessential Buddha most people consider buddhist. He is the eastern answer to "turn the other cheek". If he's it, I'm not a buddhist.

I know my grandmother, the quiet one, was really a buddhist and was able to practise the axiom, If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Someone, stop me before I speak again.

3 comments:

  1. I'm more sorry for things I've said than things I didn't. That is not something that might apply to everyone, and may not apply to me by the time it is all over. Just something that's occurred to me lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said. I also feel there are times that I've felt all of life in a single breath..I'm by no means a practising buddhist, but I've read Siddartha (lol!) I think some of these realizations and feelings are universal to all (or most) of us. It's wise advice not to hurt each other with words, although sometimes it's hard to hold the tongue!

    ReplyDelete